Sunday, March 1, 2009

More skiing

After waking up and seeing the weather report I could not just sit around home while knowing that the days to play in the snow were dwindling as spring is not far away. It was another sunny day so I decided to go somewhere close so I chose Nerstrand Big Woods State Park. I was curious to see Hidden Falls all frozen over. Plus I had never skied the trails there so today was a good day to do it. I skied 7 miles as the temperature only got up to 8 degrees while there. It did not feel that cold after I started on the trails. It is pretty amazing to hear the silence on a cold crisp day in the woods. No birds chirping but I did hear a tree branch crack more than once and it was loud. I was able to get up close to the falls as the ice was still very thick. It was so quiet I could actually hear the water running under the falls and ice. I really need to try and make cross country skiing a main part of my exercise routine more often next winter. It is so much more satisfying than running on a treadmill during the cold months.

Frozen Hidden Falls

Big Woods State Park



No comments:

Post a Comment