Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hello and welcome to my blog. I thought this would be a great place to share and organize my travels with family and friends and maybe even make some new friends along the way. Those who know me already are aware that I have a pretty strong passion for the northwoods and Lake Superior area.



My first trip up north was in the fall of 2000. Until then, I had never been north of Duluth. I was looking for a quiet place for a long weekend get away with friends when a co worker suggested the Gunflint Trail. He then told me that cell phones don't work up there and to me, that was the clincher.



So a couple of friends and I headed north where a whole new world opened up for me. I was used to living in the city at the time so I was looking for just the opposite and the Gunflint Trail was perfect. We stayed in a log cabin at Bearskin Lodge on East Bearskin Lake. A couple days later some more friends drove up from the cities and we had a great time with no tv. We did a little hiking around the area. We were not used to it being so quiet so we did bring our cd's. We were still fairly young so we brought a little bit of food and filled the fridge the only way we knew how.

After this trip and seeing the majestic Lake Superior I was hooked. My friend Dave has joined me on almost all of my trips and this was where it all started. After a couple of years we thought we better have a name for our adventures so that is where TGNMAC came in which stands for The Great Northwoods Mooseknuckle Adventure Club. We have been back to the Gunflint Trail many times since but then wanted to venture out and do more than stay at the same cabin. We finally worked our way up to becoming more active as I was a smoker on our first trip. These trips helped me quit and now we take canoe trips in the Boundary Waters and have even kayaked on Lake Superior.

I will add previous trips here as I go along as well as future trips as well so stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment